Author Topic: Unemployment frustrations  (Read 16155 times)

lostmyway

• Karma Group
Re: Unemployment frustrations
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
I could but I can almost guarantee that it wont get anywhere.  I went to a thing called social  prescribing - and that wasn't much help to me.  CBT and counselling will be about all he will offer. Also a change of meds but that doesn't sort my life out. 

I'd like to change the past, and I can't.  I wish I could of moved on about 20 years ago, and I didn't (for various reasons).  Emotionally I'm pretty screwed up and people don't want to hear it as I'm obviously complaining.  It's hard to express it all in one sentence, or paragraph.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
Maybe let it all out here on the forum?  We're not medical bods, but we can offer something doctors can't - genuine understanding   :happy0158:
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
True enough.  I don't really know where to go from here, if I was honest.  Why I have been this long without a job, god only knows.  It's so boring being stuck at home day after day.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
What sort of jobs have you been applying for?  Maybe you could to an NVQ in your area of work so that you will be learning and earning at the same time?  It would be the college's job to find you a job and would still be earning 4 days a week and learning the other day?

:hug: if you want it?   ^-^

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:04 PM »
NVQs I have are NVQ Levels 1-3 in IT, and NVQ level 2 in Warehousing.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
How about something totally new and different?  Art or creative writing or something like that?  I'm qualified to work with children and also as an admin assistant and now I'm writing books for children because that's my passion... it gives me something to say in interviews when I'm asked what I've done with the last 1.5 decades... it's creative and keeps me busy during the day which helps with my depression too!

How about taking a course with the OU or something like that?  Something that you can say you've been doing since you lost your previous job?  Something  creative?

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
I dont know it depends on the market demand, and how much it pays.  I am currently studying with the OU and am due to finish in May this year (DipHE in Computing and IT).  I don't know if I would consider the Bsc or not... It's a possibility. Then again, I dont want to be staring at textbooks forever either.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
That's why I suggested something creative... something that you can learn the theory to then pour your heart into it - I've recently learnt the basics of CSS and I've got 3 blogs, not a single textbook in sight but it's something I can be creative with and can show employers what I've been doing for the last 15 years.

When I first became disabled I was using Front Page and using backgrounds that I found online, but now it's all done in HTML and CSS.  Next up is either javascript or CMS - not a single text book in sight and I can be as creative as I like but every single thing is something I've created myself.

I write books for children too, again, not a single text book in sight and I'm querying agents and publishers.  You can do it too, just find something totally new and creative that you can get lost in for a few hours a day.

Maybe get yourself into a bit of a routine too... not necessarily a minute by minute routine but give yourself a bit of a routine to stick to?  Mine is that I wake up, take the pup for a walk, log on to my laptop and use it.  1pm comes and I have lunch then go back to using the laptop until I take my prescriptions then log off and go to bed.

If there are other things I need to do, I make time for them then carry on.  The only time I've got a time in my diary is for lunch, but that's not rigid, it's just when Steve likes to eat is all   :happy0158:

Find something that works for you, Lost... don't expect everything to go right straight away and don't put time limits on the things you do, just take things as they come and find something that works for you.  Don't give up too easily, just keep tweaking until you find something that works for you and you'll get there in the end   :biggrin:

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Level 3 (3rd year) modules involve Javascript I believe.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
Level 3 (3rd year) modules involve Javascript I believe.

I'm learning it all from Steve... how creative to you feel?  Are you more drawing and painting or more of a creative writing and poetry sort of person?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
What about volunteering?

It may not be what you want to do and of course you don't get paid, the big BUT is you are yproving that you want to work, willing to learn knew skills and probably get references.  I've been volunteering for years as I got fed up of not doing much apart from walking our dogs but the last one died two years ago.

I started at the once a week lunch church of which I was a member even though I had doubts that I would enjoy it.  As it turned out I did enjoy that and later on I volunteered at another church that has two lunch clubs a week.  The church where I helped out twice a week came to an end partly because of my arthritis has got much worse and partly because the vicar there is a nasty piece of work.

Apart from the weekly lunch club I help out at I also volunteer at a non profit making shop where the net profit goes to charities and local good causes.  Nobody is paid so that helps with paying out funds.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Volunteering is fine for those in a position to be able to afford to do it. It doesnt pay any bills.  Changing subject I have struggled with 2 assessments at University and have been having suicidal thoughts lately - Think im reaching the end of my rope.  My mother goes on about random BS all of the time and I get no break whatsoever from the situation  4 Years with a job is no joke, and just remind me that I have achieved nothing since leaving school... an nvq here and there and minimum wage jobs dont equate to anything.  So here i am at 45 with practically nothing to show for it.

Then people say stay positive? Next joke.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
It seems to be still who you know, not what you know. I have missed the boat.  I can't turn the clock back 20 years, it's not possible. All i can do is try and make the most of what time there is left.
I do wonder what (life) is really all about in a lot of ways, wonder where/why things have blown up seemingly in my face, but it's my lot in life (seemingly) so I have to get on with it whether it feels futile or not.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »
I used to think that way too before I moved to Gloucester... I like Pip's idea of volunteering - that'll get you to know people in your area that might be looking to recruit?  It's also something positive to put on your CV too   :hug:

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
Yes but lets not be under the illusion that there will be a decent job at the end of your period of volunteering.  That's a fallacy.