Author Topic: Devotional  (Read 779 times)

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
Devotional
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-december-30-2016.html

December 30, 2016
Understanding God’s Grace
Natalia Crawford

Today’s Truth

For if by one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness will rein in life through the One, Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17, NKJV).

Friend to Friend

I was born to be a rule follower. It’s in my nature. I never acted out in public as a child. It has always bothered me when people talk while the teacher (or preacher) is talking. I have memories of telling my classmates to stop running in the halls in elementary school because they weren’t supposed to. Yes, that’s me. The rule following, teacher’s pet kind of gal. Right now you are probably thinking I’m trying to make myself sound like a saint. But the truth is that being this way made it very challenging for me to understand God’s grace for a very long time. As Children of God, we are called to live in freedom, and I was allowing rule following to keep me in bondage.  That is until I went to high school. I was attending the youth group at my church and I kept hearing the word “grace.” “Grace this” ”grace that” and then I realized that I had no idea what grace meant. I understood the definition of grace, and I understood what the Bible had to say about grace. But I didn’t have a revelation of it in my own life. So I decided to approach God and ask Him to give me a revelation of what Grace really is; And He did.  I want to paint you the picture God painted for me. I want you to visualize it right where you are physically and spiritually.  I was standing on a dirt field. Everything was brown and the field went far beyond where my eyes could see. Jesus was standing next to me.  Then, I noticed a shovel on the ground next to me. I picked it up and looked at Jesus. He kindly looked at me and said, “Don’t do that.”

I turned away and began to dig.  After a few moments of digging I looked at Jesus. Once again, He kindly said, “Don’t do that.”

I looked back down and continued to dig. Sweat was dripping down my forehead, and dirt was what now appeared to be my clothes.  Before I knew it, I had dug myself into a hole so deep, I couldn’t get out. I looked around and found myself surrounded by walls of dirt. I stood at the pit of it all. Understanding now why Jesus had told me not to do this, I was ashamed to look up and see if He was even still there. I had no choice. I couldn’t get out. I had literally dug myself into this mess, and I had no way out.  I slowly looked up, to find Jesus standing there. I expected to see a look of disappointment, or even anger. I expected him to say, “See what you did? I told you not to do this, and you didn’t listen to me! Now look at the mess you are in!”

Instead, He reached down into the hole, He lifted me up and out of it, and He began to dust the dirt off my clothes until I was clean again. He hugged me with the most loving and comforting embrace, with no sign of bitterness, disappointment, or anger.  THAT is grace. God’s complete love and forgiveness in our life, especially when we don’t deserve it.  That is how God explained it to me when I asked. Every time I share this so intimate and personal encounter I can’t help but cry, and usually find those I share it with crying too. I have experienced sharing it with non-believers and having the presence of God fill the room and their hearts. Why?

Because we serve a God of love and grace, and that is the message this world so desperately needs.  It is so important for us to understand God’s grace. Whether you are naturally a rule-follower or naturally a rebel, Scripture says that we are all in need of God’s grace.  For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:23, NKJV).  I love this scripture. I love that it says “being justified freely by His grace.” I was reading it this morning as I drank my Jasmine Green tea and the word “freely” stood out to me because it isn’t needed in order to complete the sentence. It can so easily read, “being justified by His grace.” Instead that word is there because we serve a God who “freely” wants us to be justified.  That is the freedom we are called to live in. As natural rule-followers or rebels, we live our lives righteously and then allow grace to come in when we don’t. We repent and thank God for His grace when we miss it knowing we have been covered by His grace. That is the grace I sought to understand. It was the grace I needed to understand. And when I did, I was able to live freely from the bondage of falling short, knowing He has redeemed me, and God wants you to know more than anything that He loves you and that He has redeemed you.

Let’s Pray

Heavenly Father, I come before Your throne and I thank You for your grace. I thank You for the power of grace in our lives and for a revelation of it. I ask that You fill the hearts of every woman reading this right now with Your love. That you would give her an understanding and revelation of how you see her Father, washed white as snow. You alone had the power to redeem us, and You did out of Your love for us. We are so grateful for You our love and grace.

In Jesus’ name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Today, I want you to reflect on things you haven’t forgiven yourself for. What areas of your life do you feel like you fall short in?

Do you feel like you lack as a woman, a wife, a spouse, a Christian?

I want you to uncover those areas and bring them before God. Allow His grace to take those areas of your life and call them redeemed.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
Re: Devotional
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-december-29-2016.html

December 29, 2016
Shattered Matters
Gwen Smith

Today’s Truth

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. (2 Corinthians 4:7-9)

Friend to Friend

I’ve been through hard times. I’ve asked the question why on many occasions. I’ve begrudgingly said goodbye to family and friends in order to say hello to strangers and scary new places. I know the matter of being shattered.  There was a season when Brad and I lived in four different homes, in four different states, within four years. It was a very difficult time of my life. From Ohio to Pennsylvania to New York to North Carolina, we made our way across the East Coast with three little ducklings in tow. Back then, the uncertainty of tomorrow caused me a great deal of stress. A certain muscle in my back is twitching just thinking about it.  The chaos began back in 2000.  We lived in a snuggly little town just outside Akron, Ohio and God had just nudged me into public music ministry. I sensed Him asking me to join Him on a new faith adventure, and I said, “Yes!”

So, after much praying and planning, I sifted through a list of songs I had written, connected with a producer, flew to Nashville, and recorded my first CD. Did I mention that I also had two very active little boys who were under the age of three, and that I was pregnant with our third child?

(Go ahead, laugh at me. The timing didn’t make sense to me either.)  At the same time, Brad was doing well with his company and would soon be promoted. It was also a time of rapid and rich spiritual growth for Brad. He became the leader of our adult Sunday school class at church and led admirably. I was so proud of him.  We loved our church, were plugged into ministries, and got along famously with our neighbors. We were comfortable, content, and settled. Life was good.  But it seems to me that God doesn’t necessarily always want us to be comfortable and content. (I say that tongue in cheek, of course.) Our comfort turned to chaos quickly when, just weeks before Kennedy was born, Brad accepted a job promotion that would uproot us from Akron, and transplant us in the suburbs outside Philadelphia.  Saying goodbye to our community was torture. We had blossomed into young adults in Ohio. We exchanged our sacred marriage vows there. Gave birth to our babies there. We grew in faith as a family there.  With each farewell, the weight of sadness grew heavier. When moving day arrived and all the boxes had been loaded, we hugged our neighbors one last time then drove away. As our home faded from sight, I realized that a part of my heart would always live in Ohio.  Once we got to our new house, I cried buckets of tears out of frustration, exhaustion, and sadness. Tension and stress became my new closest friends. The moment I said yes to God, so much of what had been comfortable and familiar was stripped away from my life. Of course, the timing wasn't coincidental. God allowed what was comfortable to be removed. He then led me to a place where I would have to trust Him and lean on Him in ways I never had before.  Broken became my middle name.  When we moved the only thing I could do was hunker down, spread out my motherly wings, and care for the babes in my nest. I changed diapers, chased toddlers, and cherished naptimes for almost a year. Friendships blossomed between me and other young moms, and the ladies’ Bible study at church became a vital link to both God and other women. As I studied Scripture, the Lord began to birth new songs in my heart, and although I wasn’t serving in music ministry right then, I processed my faith and life by writing songs.  Fourteen months after our transition, when the chaos had finally turned to calm, Brad hesitantly announced that it was time to move again. He would take over a territory in Syracuse, New York. Were we the punch line in someone else’s joke? We always said we wanted to live in a sunny, warm place. Now we were heading further north. Yuck. We prayed fervently about the move and felt God leading us in that direction, but I wondered if God’s compass was broken. As we packed boxes once again, questions danced around in my mind.  Had I heard Him wrong?

Why would God call me to a task and then herd me across the country like a nomad’s cow?

Starting over in New York had a strangely familiar feel. The first few months were busy and lonely. I spent much time meeting neighbors, figuring out the aisles at the new grocery stores, and finding out the best routes to take to Wal-Mart, to the post office, and to the pediatrician’s office. Finding a new church was a whole ‘nother challenge. But, in time, the matters of being shattered eventually lessened as we assimilated into the community and a wonderful church family.  The Syracuse summers were lush, but the winters were long. Though snow fell often, to the tune of 150 inches a year, God’s grace fell even more. He blessed me with deep friendships, intense Bible studies, and godly leadership from the pastors at our church. Brad and I immersed ourselves into the community, even though we anticipated that our time in New York would be brief.  Then, seventeen short months after we unpacked in Syracuse, Brad accepted a new, can’t pass it up business opportunity, and we moved to sunny Charlotte, North Carolina.  What an exhausting journey. With each move I experienced both bitter and sweet moments, but the aftertaste of the bitter moments seemed to linger a little longer than the sweet ones.  It was a difficult four years.  I’ve heard it said, “If the mountain was smooth, you couldn’t climb it.”

There’s a lot of truth to that. Through the mountain of pain I scaled in each move, God brought me closer to Him and taught me important lessons that I surely wouldn’t have learned otherwise. Lessons about trusting God with my friendships, with goodbyes, with loneliness, with my family, with anger, stress, and faith. Through it all, I’ve come to know this for sure: in all things even the hard things God is sovereign and can be trusted.  I know from personal experience that in the painful, tear-filled days, God is still good and can still be trusted. He is faithful. I’ve witnessed His strength in my weakness. I’ve felt His comfort in times of loss. And though we aren’t always kept from experiencing shattered matters, we never have to endure them alone.  He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.  (Psalm 18:16)

Let’s Pray

Dear Lord,

Thank you for always being by my side and for giving me your strength and grace when I am simply weak and broken. Please help me look to you in every shattered matter.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen

Now It’s Your Turn

Read Psalm 34, then write out your favorite verses and commit them to memory.  CONNECT: Is there someone you know who needs to read this message?

Forward this devotion. Post it on your social media sites. Share the hope of healing. Then let’s meet on my blog to PRAY for one another today.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-january-26-2017.html

January 26, 2017
A Childlike Heart
Mary Southerland

Today’s Truth

Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it (Mark 10:15, NIV).

Friend to Friend

I recently read the story of a young family who went out to eat at a local restaurant. They were the only family with children eating. The mom sat their little boy, Erik, in a high chair and noticed everyone was quietly sitting and talking. Suddenly, Erik squealed with glee and said, "Hi!" He pounded his fat baby hands on the high chair tray.

His eyes were crinkled in laughter and his mouth was bared in a toothless grin as he wriggled and giggled with joy.  The mother looked around and saw the source of his merriment. It was a man wearing baggy pants and shoes so worn that his toes poked out. His shirt was dirty and his hair was uncombed and unwashed. His whiskers were too short to be called a beard, and his nose was so varicose it looked like a road map. The man sat far away, but the mother was sure he smelled bad. His hands waved and flapped on loose wrists in an effort to make Erik laugh.  “Hi there, baby. Hi there, big boy. I see ya, buster," the man said to Erik.

Erik’s mom and dad exchanged looks and asked, "What do we do?"

Erik continued to laugh and answer, "Hi."

Everyone in the restaurant noticed the man who was creating a nuisance with the beautiful baby. Their meal came and the man began shouting from across the room, "Do ya patty cake? Do you know peek-a-boo? Hey, look, he knows peek- a-boo."

Nobody thought the old man was cute. He was obviously drunk.  Erik’s parents were embarrassed and ate in silence. Not Erik. He was running through his repertoire for the admiring skid row bum, who in turn, reciprocated with his cute comments. The parents finally got through the meal and headed for the door. The husband went to pay the check and told his wife to meet him in the parking lot. The old man sat poised between the mother and the door. "Lord, just let me out of here before he speaks to me or Erik," she prayed. 

As she drew closer to the man, she turned her back trying to sidestep him and avoid any air he might be breathing. As she did, Erik leaned over her arm, reaching with both arms in a baby's "pick-me-up" position. Before the mom could stop him, Erik had propelled himself from her arms to the man's. Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship. Erik in an act of total trust, love, and submission laid his tiny head on the man's ragged shoulder. The man's eyes closed, and tears hovered beneath his lashes. His aged hands full of grime, pain, and hard labor, cradled the baby and gently stroked his back.  No two beings have ever loved so deeply for so short a time. The mother and every other person in the restaurant were awestruck. The old man rocked and cradled Erik in his arms and his eyes opened and in a firm and even commanding voice said, "You take care of this baby."

Somehow the mother managed, "I will" from a throat choked with emotion.

He pried Erik from his chest, lovingly and longingly, as though he were in pain. The mom took her baby and the man said, "God bless you, ma'am. You've given me my Christmas gift."

With Erik in her arms, the mom ran for the car. Her husband was wondering why his wife was crying and holding Erik so tightly saying, "My God, my God, forgive me."

Everyone had just witnessed Christ's love shown through the innocence of a tiny child who saw no sin, who made no judgment; a child who saw a soul, and a mother who saw a suit of clothes. The mother was a Christian who was blind, holding a child who was not. A ragged old man had unwittingly preached the message found in Scripture, "To enter the Kingdom of God, we must become as little children."

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
Tuesday, January 31, 2017   

Deadly Comparison
Jennifer Dukes Lee

Today’s Verse Powered by the New Living Translation
“Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.”  - Galatians 6:4

During my ministry travels, I have the privilege of meeting many women, and they often share their hearts and insecurities with me. So many of those insecurities are fed by the tendency to compare.  People have been measuring themselves against one another for approximately forever sometimes with deadly consequences. Cain compared himself to Abel, with a jealous anger that ended in his brother’s murder (Gen. 4). Joseph’s brothers, moved by envy, sold him into slavery (Gen. 37). Jesus’ disciples bickered and compared themselves to one another on several occasions (Luke 9).  We have everything we need within us to overcome comparison. As Christians, we are given the invaluable gifts of the Holy Spirit within us, combined with the authority of the Scriptures that guide us toward right living.  Some important instructions are tucked into a letter that Paul wrote to the Galatians: “Pay careful attention to your own work and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else” (Gal. 6:4).

God has called us each to our own work in the office, the gym, the home, everywhere. And Paul is telling us that when we keep our eyes on our own work when we “pay careful attention” to it we won’t need to compare anymore.  This is your one beautiful life. God has invited you into it. You are not called to live the life of Judy or Katie or Megan. You are called to live your own life. Comparison creates an us versus them mentality that can rob the body of Christ of its unity and fellowship. When we see envy rise up, dear Lord, help us tamp it back down. Friendship cannot grow in the soil of comparison.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »
Monday, January 30, 2017   

Stronger Together
Holley Gerth

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.”  - Ecclesiastes 4:12

While there are certainly divine illustrations to be found in Ecclesiastes 4:12, there’s also a lot of insight for how we live in community. One person is an individual. Two people make a relationship. But when we get to “three” we have community. We have become something we could not be on our own. The strands are now a strong cord.  True connections take time, commitment, and courage. While social media can make it seem like bonding is as easy as clicking a “like” button, we’re called to go deeper with each other. And that means making relationships a priority. Our seasons of life and circumstances will impact our capacity for connection, but we can all pause and ask, “What can I do to truly connect with the people I love?”

Even a little bit of time or encouragement can make a big difference.  Being intertwined means choosing to stay even when it’s hard. We live in a fallen world, and we are fallen people. That means inevitably conflicts will come, personalities will clash, and disappointments will happen. But we become stronger when we learn to stay because the strands of rope depend on each other. What happens to one happens to all of them. We’re told, “Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep” (Rom. 12:15, ESV).

We’re to share the happy and the hard of life. Community means we win together and we lose together. We cheer each other on, hold each other up, and keep Jesus at the center of it all.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
Friday, January 27, 2017   

Profoundly Loved
Mary DeMuth

“When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.”  - Titus 3:4–5

So many of us wrongly feel that in order to justify our existence on earth, we have to create. To perform. To be perfect. To do everything right. And if we don’t live up to our production expectations, we can slip into thinking we’re worthless. But that’s looking at creation (you) as a commodity, not as a created being. It’s assigning worth based on your value to produce, to fill holes, to accomplish a to do list.  As much as our culture reinforces this idea, it’s simply not true that we must live up to certain standards in order to earn God’s love. We simply must rest in being his children. We can revel in being a creation dearly loved by Jesus, sacrificed for, graced unconditionally.  Much our thinking is tainted by a consumer based mindset. If we view others as things to possess instead of people to be loved, it’s no wonder we’ve lacked grace for ourselves when we don’t perform up to our own legalistic standards. It may take awhile to absorb, but consider the sound of these words: You don’t have to justify the space you take up on earth any more. Jesus made a way a beautiful way for you to realize how profoundly loved you are.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-february-7-2017.html

February 7, 2017
The Bam-Bam Game
Mary Southerland

Today’s Truth

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17, NIV).

Friend to Friend

Dan and I have one favorite restaurant where we like to eat on our weekly date night. The food is delicious, the atmosphere is quiet, and the waitress makes us feel like we are the most important people on the planet. It is a great place to relax, catch up and make plans for the future. We go to this restaurant for us. It’s our spot.  Our grandchildren have a different spot where they love to go. It is definitely not quiet; the food is geared more to the taste of children, and finding someone who works there is often what I consider a modern day miracle. Yep you are way ahead of me. It is Chuck E. Cheese!  But I absolutely love going to Chuck E. Cheese! Let me explain. First, I score major points with our grandchildren. Second, it is easy to keep tabs on the kids at our local Chuck E. Cheese because it is small. Seriously, I can stand in the middle of the play area and see every grandchild. Third, there are so many games that every child can find at least one or two they enjoy playing. I like Chuck E. Cheese because it keeps the kids happily occupied for hours.  I’m almost embarrassed to admit it, but there is another reason I love going to Chuck E. Cheese. I am hooked on one the games. The official name of the game is Smash A Munch, but I call it The Bam-Bam game. If you have ever been to Chuck E. Cheese you know exactly which game I’m talking about. Funny creatures pop up from random holes, and you hit them with a foam-covered bat to make them disappear. The more little creatures you hit and the faster you hit them determines how many highly coveted tickets you win.  Every time I play The Bam-Bam game, I am reminded of a spiritual truth that so many of us have so wrong. We honestly believe God plays a kind of spiritual version of The Bam-Bam Game with our lives. I’ve done it. I’ve had this perspective, thinking God sits in Heaven, holding a spiritual bat, just waiting for me to make a mistake. When I do, He laughs in delight and promptly smashes me back into the dark pit into which I have fallen.  Well, let me tell you the truth, girlfriend. That perception is a lie, straight from the pit of Hell, and smells like smoke! We need to understand who our Father truly is and how He really sees us. Grab hold of these truths!  For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10, NIV).

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be (Psalm 139:14-15, NIV).

Know that the Lord is God. He made us, and we belong to Him; we are His people, the sheep He tends (Psalm 100:3, NCV).

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16, NLT).

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1, NIV).

Here it is. The almighty God, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, Creator and Caretaker of the universe loves me and He loves you. Period.  We don’t have to try to be someone we were never created to be. We have nothing to prove to anyone. God has already settled all of that and so much more.  Jesus came to earth and died on the cross to pay for our sins past, present and future. His gift of unfathomable love covers it all. He is for us. He is with us. There is no condemnation no Bam-Bam Game in our relationship with Jesus Christ. Today, right now, celebrate the unconditional love, the unending grace, and the eternal forgiveness He freely offers.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-february-28-2017.html

February 28, 2017
You’re More Than a Cleaned-Up Version of Your Old Self
Sharon Jaynes

Today’s Truth

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Friend to Friend

Most Christians see their conversion as a cleaned-up version of their old self, rather than as a brand new creation who did not exist before. The Bible says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here” (2 Corinthians 5:17).

The old is gone, not just spiffied up.  After high school I went to college where I met and married an awesome Christian man whom I met at a friend’s Bible study. I saw him sitting on the floor with his back against the wall and his red flannel shirt rolled up his masculine arms. He had a worn Bible in his lap and an easy smile on his face. Before the year was up, I became his wife. About four years later, I became a mom.  Life was good, except for this termite like gnawing in my gut that I just didn’t quite measure up to all the other church moms with their smiling faces. I went to Bible studies and even taught a few. However, I walked around with the fear that one day I would be found out that one day folks would figure out that I wasn’t all that I was cracked up to be. I lived under an undefined self imposed standard of approval.  Childhood echoes of “you’re so ugly” and “what’s wrong with you?” and “you did a terrible job” left me feeling congenitally flawed.

I sat in Bible study groups like someone in a hospital waiting room: hoping for the best but expecting the worst. My greatest fear was that I’d be no closer to being free of the insecurity than I was before the study began.  When I was in my mid-thirties, I sat under the teaching of an older woman in my church, Mary Marshal Young. She opened my eyes to the truths in Scripture about who I was, what I had, and where I was (my position) as a child of God. I had read those verses scattered throughout Scripture before, but when she encouraged me to cluster them altogether into one list, God began a new work in my heart.  You are a saint.  You are chosen and dearly loved.  You are holy.  These truths were right there on the pages of my Bible in black and white and a few in red. I knew it was the infallible Word of God, but I felt rather squeamish hearing them, reading them, believing them.  They didn’t feel right.  They didn’t sound right.  They made me downright uncomfortable.  At the same time I was studying about my true identity, the devil taunted me with lies. Who do you think you are?

A saint?

Are you kidding?

This stuff might be true for some people, but it certainly is not true about you.

One day God asked me an important question one that He is asking you right now. Who are you going to believe?

That’s what I’m asking you today. Who are you going to believe?

When I decided to believe God…that changed everything. I believe it will do the same for you.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-march-10-2017.html

March 10, 2017
Overthinking Ministry
Logan Wolfram

Today’s Truth

“So let’s do it full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.[1]Hebrews 10:22-25 (The Message)

Friend to Friend

I joined a gym this Fall.  In all fairness perhaps I should back up and disclose that I actually joined the Y several months before. I walked through those doors armed with so many good intention that if intent was all it took to be fit, I’d have been on the cover of Shape Magazine by now.  I went twice.  It felt lonely and I had to park far away (you know, to walk into the GYM) and it wasn’t like Cheers where everybody knows you name. Apparently it was just all too much and my ENFP personality just couldn’t handle it.  Maybe if I’d done a class I’d have made a friend and gone more than twice. But I never can get the choreography right with a step class, Zumba makes me look like I’m convulsing, and the class called “Beast Mode” wasn’t exactly feeling invitational.  Why are there walls full of windows for these classes anyhow?

Is no one at the gym self conscious?! 

My spandex really served to hold the muffin top in, where as MANY of the others seemed to beautifully accentuate whatever cookies they’d been living without!  I even tried taking my kids, who were too young to work out on the equipment but too old for the kid zone, and so really, all the excuses were roadblocks and I quickly decided they stood completely in the way.  I somehow convinced myself that I’d eventually go, so I foolishly paid for 6 months and only stepped foot in the building three times (if you include the day I went just to sign up and join.)  Finally, I cancelled the membership and resolved to walk in the neighborhood on the days it wasn’t too hot or too rainy or too cold or too inconvenient.  As I’m sure you can guess, that was wildly successful as well, especially with all of my parameters of convenience around the plan.  Then one day when I was at a Moms in Prayer meeting for my kids’ school, my friend Kat told me about a gym she had joined and that for the first time in her life she actually looked forward to going.  “It’s different it’s like there is real community there,” she told me.

To make a long story short, I decided to give it a shot.  And also because they ran a special through some direct mailing where you could somehow get the first month free.  I figured it was worth a shot.  I actually had to wait three weeks to start because they put all the new people in a beginners class together so we could all learn the moves. I also quickly learned they did it this way because it was so exhausting and we might have all died had we shown up immediately to a regular length class.  The first day we did a high intensity workout that lasted approximately seven minutes and it took me SEVENTY minutes afterwards to catch my breath.  I like to tell myself this was because we had to run in the cold and it was hard on our lungs, but also let’s be honest it was because I’d had a gym membership for 8 months and never used it before.  But I hung in there because at the next class when I admitted that I barely survived the rest of the day after the class, four other women admitted they took ages to recover as well.  And suddenly, friendships were formed in those moments where we bonded over the struggle and admitted we didn’t have it all together.  Recently one of the trainers asked me to coffee just to check in and see how I was feeling about the program.  (For the record, I’m still feeling really great about it since my smaller jeans are starting to nearly fit again.)  As we were talking, I discovered that one of the company’s core values is truly about building community.  Her asking me to coffee was actually part of her job to make sure people truly connect at the gym.  Kinda genius right?!

While we were talking though, I learned that she loves the Lord and had been looking for a Bible study but time of day can be tricky and it’s hard to find community sometimes.  “What if you had a study at the gym?” I asked her.

“That’d be amazing but we would have to find someone to facilitate it.” She shrugged.

“I could do it.” I said. 

And something in that moment felt more right than any of the last three studies I’ve done through the more traditional routes.  “I mean, the community is already here it’s just originally built around something else.  Why not spur one another on in this way too?”

She and I are meeting in a couple of days to pick out a study and they’re going to send out an invite to all of the women who come to the gym. Listen, I’m not sure how it will go, but I can’t imagine a more perfect place to be doing ministry than where we already do life.

And I’ve been thinking how often we overlook the obvious places to be the hands and feet and mouthpieces of Jesus because we’re so focused on the more traditional spots.  Wednesday nights can be amazing to gather with church friends, but when was the last time we gathered around the word with people who are in our world but maybe not even our denomination? 

Are we willing and open to building community around the Word from places where community is already growing? 

What if instead of trying to always create community around a study, we began to ask the Lord what spaces of connection in our lives already exist and could become even more powerful catalysts for His movement?

The Scriptures are clear that we have permission and even are encouraged to be INVENTIVE in the ways we spur one another on…in the ways we bring the Word of God to others.  Imagine what the Lord can do when we invite him into all the spaces we go and how he can build even deeper community in places where He has already laid the groundwork of relationship.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-march-9-2017.html

March 9, 2017
The Architect of My Life
Mary Southerland

Today’s Truth

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT).

Friend to Friend

Our son was born to be a builder. From the time he could hold a plastic red hammer in his toddler-sized hands, Jered began hammering imaginary nails into the coffee table, fixing everything that was broken in our house. No wooden surface in our home was safe from Jered’s scrutiny or design.  Since my husband enjoyed woodworking, he decided to build Jered a miniature workbench beside his own. Several nights each week, Dan and Jered headed to the garage to pound and hammer and do what they called “man stuff.” I thought it was cute a philosophy that would drastically change in the years to come.  When he was in middle school, Jered built a clubhouse inside our garage. And what a clubhouse it was! For weeks, Jered scrounged wood and “treasures” from neighborhood dumpsters and construction sites. The clubhouse was made largely of plywood but had a carpeted floor, four walls, and a roof. Jered cut out windows and found an old rusty but still working window unit to keep him and his friends cool during their club meetings. It was truly a work of art!  Jered built a jewelry box for my birthday and a toy box that held his prized Mutant Ninja Turtles. If we needed storage cabinets in our garage, Jered built them. He designed and built a queen sized bunk bed over a built in desk and bookshelves to conserve space in his room. We no longer bought furniture. Jered simply built it. Looking back, I didn’t realize those plastic tools would pave the way for our son’s career. Today, he is a Project Site Superintendent for a large construction company as well as a master carpenter and builder.  Jered reminds me of another young man who was destined to become a builder Jesus.  Jesus’s earthly father Joseph was a carpenter and taught Jesus everything he knew about being a master carpenter. In those days, it was not uncommon for the son to carry on his father’s business. I often wonder if Jesus didn’t have a little workbench beside Joseph’s. I imagine Jesus probably followed His daddy around, hammering alongside His father’s true blows. Joseph may have had to remove a few stray nails driven by Jesus and even repair a few of his son’s “jobs.”  Did Jesus make a jewelry box for His mother, or did He build a piece of furniture that Mary treasured like I treasure everything Jered has ever built for our home?

Jesus was just like His Father God, the ultimate architect and builder.  Yes, God is the Master Creator, but His greatest creations are not of wood or stone. God was and is the creator of eternal masterpieces like you and me. His blueprint for our lives is second to none, is detailed in the Word of God, and is without flaw as it molds us into the image of God.  We are His living masterpieces created by the One who knows us best and loves us most.  There are no accidents with God. Before we were ever conceived in the heart and mind of man, we were conceived in the heart and mind of God. Wanted, loved and planned since before the world began. He had a plan in mind and lovingly, purposefully created us in response to that plan.  I know there are days when the plan of God seems completely wrong, and we simply don’t understand. Every moment is pregnant with darkness, and our hearts are numb, paralyzed by fear and doubt. We are treading water in the stormy seas of life, desperately longing to see God walking on the treacherous waves toward us, rescue in His hand. It is in those shadowed moments that we must choose to trust the Plan Maker, the Master Designer.  Even though our faith is small, and we cannot understand the plan or make sense of His divine blueprints. God’s ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. And one day, every one of our question marks will be yanked into exclamation points as we see that plan like God sees it perfect.  Today, Girlfriend, set aside your meager agenda. Lay down your limited life arrangement and look for God to meet you at the point of surrender power and victory in His hands. Now that is a great plan created by God, our Architect and Builder.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-march-29-2017.html

March 29, 2017
Leaving the Land of Disappointment
Sharon Jaynes

Today’s Truth

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance, (John 20:1 NIV).

Friend to Friend

Sometimes you expect you’re getting a Rachel and you wake up with a Leah. Okay, I know that example might connect better with a guy, but you get the point.  Let me try that again. What do you do after you’ve crossed the Red Sea of obstacles, only to be dying of thirst at Marah three days later?

How do you keep your dancing from turning into disappointment?

One thing is for sure; you don’t drive down your tent pegs by the disappointing waters of Marah and camp out there. You move on.  I think of the women on Jesus’s ministry team. They had committed their lives to the Messiah and believed that He would restore Israel. Mary Magdalene and a handful of other women had followed him for more three years. But life had not turned out like they thought it would. Their hopes and dreams were nailed to a cross and the lifeblood spilled on the ground to be trampled underfoot. Their future lay in a borrowed tomb sealed behind an imposing stone.  It appeared Jesus was not going to be the ruler and set things right after all. The very people He came to save had killed Him. This was not how the story was supposed to go at least in their eyes.  So what did Mary and the other women do?

On the third day after Jesus’s death, while it was still dark, they got up, gathered their spices and started walking to the tomb (John 20:1). 

Never mind that it was still dark. Never mind that a giant boulder blocked the tomb’s entrance a stone too heavy for the women to move.  Never mind that armed Roman soldiers stood guard over the grave. Never mind that the disciples were so discouraged and disillusioned that they hid away in a secret room. Never mind all that. The women didn’t have all the details worked out in their heads, but they were not going to sit home in their discouragement paralyzed into inactivity. They were going to move forward while it was still dark.  Mary Magdalene got up, and she got going while it was still dark. In the end, she was not disappointed that she took this step of faith, and you won’t be either. Just as assuredly as Jesus met her at her greatest point of need, He will meet you at yours.  Did you notice that Mary Magdalene didn’t wait until her circumstances changed before she got moving?

Jesus was still dead as far as she knew. But she got up and moved forward anyway.  And where did she go?

Yes, she went to the tomb, but there is more. She went back to the last place she had seen Him. Perhaps that is where you need to go today. Go back to the last place you encountered Jesus. Even if it is still dark. Even if you are still in a dark place. Even if a seemingly impossible imposing boulder of disappointment is blocking your dreams. Don’t worry about moving the stone. God’s good at that. You just keep putting one faithful foot in front of the other and let God take care of the rest.  Oh, what we miss when we make camp in the painful place of disappointment and refuse God’s invitation to continue the adventurous journey. We miss the moments of sudden glory when our eyes are shut tight because of discouragement, and our hearts are bolted fast with despair.  Don’t allow the weight of discouragement hold you down or lower your expectations of the life in Christ. Get up. Get moving. Open your eyes. Open your heart. There’s more to experience just around the bend.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-march-28-2017.html

March 28, 2017
Are You in the Right Spot?
Mary Southerland

Today’s Truth

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be (Psalm 139:16, NIV).

Friend to Friend

We all want to be successful in our work. Your office may be downtown or just inside your front door. Your work clothes may be an elegant suit or ragged jeans and a stained t-shirt. You may be paid in cash or with crayon drawings and sticky kisses. It doesn't really matter because none of these things alone makes us successful in the work place.  Many people never experience success in their work because they are in the wrong work to begin with. Not me. As a high school student, I knew exactly what I wanted to be a nurse. My mother was a nurse, and I wanted to be just like her. So I signed up to be a student volunteer at the hospital where my mother worked. When I told her the good news, she thought for a moment and then simply said, "That's great, honey. You'll make a wonderful nurse."

On my first day, I eagerly donned the required red and white striped uniform and reported for duty. The head nurse welcomed me and explained that I would be checking each patient to make sure they had water to drink, magazines to read, and a listening ear. That sounded simple enough. "Oh, and one more thing," she continued.

In retrospect, I should have instantly recognized the danger in those words and run for the nearest exit. In my ignorance, I stayed. "Since we are short-handed, I may ask you to do just a few things to help the other nurses on duty," she said.

"No problem" I assured her.

At that precise moment, a scream pierced the air! The head nurse calmly looked at me, smiled and said, "Could you check on that, please?"

Surely, I had misunderstood her. "Now!" she continued.

Taking a deep breath, I headed in the direction of the scream, praying that that it was nothing more than the celebratory cry of someone who had just won a million dollars.

As I neared the room in question, a bedpan flew through the doorway in front of me, landing at my feet. Furthermore, the bedpan was not empty. I decided right then and there that nursing was not for me, turned in my candy cane apron, and raced for the nearest exit. Mama was waiting for me as I stepped off the elevator. She smiled, handed me the cars keys, and simply said "See you at home."

Fortunately, I had a wise and wonderful mother who knew me well, and from that day on encouraged me to be the teacher God created me to be.  I truly believe many people are living stress-filled lives because they have never sought and discovered God's plan and are trapped in jobs and careers that simply do not fit. Every day, they feel like the proverbial round peg being jammed into a square hole a painful and frustrating experience.  What does fit is God's plan. In Psalm 23:3, David writes, "He leads me in paths of righteousness."

In this verse "righteousness" simply means "right things." The Shepherd has a plan for His sheep. Unfortunately, so does everyone else. The difference is that God's plan is filled with the "right things" He shaped and created us to do while the agendas of others tend to service their own purposes instead of God's.  God empowers His plan, but when we step into our own agenda or a plan created by anyone else, we are stepping into and relying upon our frail, limited strength. We will soon be empty and stress will flood in, filling the emptiness with anxiety and tension. Don't waste another day just doing the "next" thing. Take a long, hard look at your work, your job, and your agenda to make sure you are in the right place doing what you were created to do in this world.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-may-25-2017.html

May 25, 2017
A Braver, Smarter and Stronger You
Gwen Smith

Today’s Truth

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (John 15:7, NIV)

Friend to Friend

One of the most lovable and charming characters in the history of cartoon animation has to be Winnie the Pooh. He simply oozes adorableness and positivity.

In the movie, Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin, Pooh and Christopher Robin, who are the closest of friends, have a moving conversation high in a tree where strength and love flow heart-to-heart.  CHRISTOPHER ROBIN: "Oh, Pooh. If ever there's a tomorrow when we're not together, there's something you must remember."

POOH: "And what might that be, Christopher Robin?"

CHRISTOPHER ROBIN: "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

POOH: "Oh, that's easy. We're braver than a bee, and, uh, longer than a tree, and taller than a goose or, uh, was that a moose?"

CHRISTOPHER ROBIN: "No, silly, old bear! You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is even if we're apart; I'll always be with you. I'll always be with you. I'll always be with you."

This conversation reminds me of the conversation Jesus has with His disciples after His resurrection. He gave them new marching orders and assured them that though He had to leave, they would never be alone.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You trust in God; trust also in me.” (John 14:1)

“Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14:12-14)

“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” (John 14:15-17)

“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:26-27)

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing… If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:5, 7-8)

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19- 20)

May these last words of Jesus serve as a reminder to you today that you are not alone or ill-equipped in your life. Because of this truth, you are enabled through Christ to be a woman of great courage and faith! Live like it. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think because the Spirit of God is at work within you to embolden, strengthen, and guide you.  Above all, remember this: God is with you. Always.

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:56:42 PM »
May 24, 2017
I AM is the God Who Fills in Your Gaps
Sharon Jaynes

Today’s Truth
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14 NIV).

Friend to Friend

In the very first Rocky movie, the Italian Stallion, Rocky Balboa, very eloquently encourages his demure girlfriend, Adrian. “I got gaps. You got gaps. Together we got no gaps.”

But Rocky got it all wrong. He’s got gaps. Adrian’s got gaps. And no person alive is going to fill those gaps. God is the only One who can fill our gaps. And I’d go so far as to say that He is the One who gave us those gaps so that He can fill them. He is the great I AM who fills our gaps and fills in our blanks.  When we say, “I’m not good enough,”

God says, “I AM.”

When we say, “I’m not smart enough,”

God says, “I AM.”

When we say, “I'm not strong enough,”

God says, “I AM.”

When we say, “I’m not ________ enough,”

God says, “I AM.”

He is the God who fills in our gaps. He is the God who fills in our blanks.  I’ve often heard it said there is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man, that  cannot be filled by another created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus Christ.  Paul wrote: “[God] said to me for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness” (2 Cor. 12:9, AMPC).

Paul knew what he could accomplish on his own: nothing. Oh, he could be busy. We all can do that. But bearing “fruit that will remain” is another story. This is how he viewed his own personal weaknesses:  I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan’s angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn’t think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me, “My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.”

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become (2 Cor. 12:7–10, MSG).  Paul had great confidence. The prefix “con” means “with,” and the root “fid” means “faith.” So a confident person is one who walks in faith. When you allow God to fill in your gaps with His power and provision, you will have the confidence and courage to leave the limpid land of in-between and march into the Promised Land of life to the full!  That’s where I want to go today. Where I want to live. How about you?

If you’re ready to stop wandering around in the wilderness of indecision and start moving forward to take hold of your Promised Land of life to the full, leave a comment and say, “I’m taking hold!”

Pip

• Administrator
    • Touched by Adoption
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »
Friday, April 14, 2017   

His Glory
April Yamasaki

“Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”  - Philippians 2:9–11

If his suffering and death were the whole story of Jesus, he might be a man to be pitied more than anything else a man who had his 15 minutes of fame, but who otherwise lived in relative obscurity, a victim of the political establishment of his time, too weak and too ignorant to speak up and fight the system, a lonely and pathetic figure instead of an inspiration. But the humility of Jesus makes up just one side of the story and just one part of the hymn that Paul cites here in Philippians. While the first half of the hymn spotlights Jesus’ humility, the last half of the hymn is all about his glory.  God highly honored Jesus with a name greater than all other names, which would cause everyone to bow before him and confess that “Jesus Christ is Lord” (v. 11).

Jesus was not only a man of humble circumstances who died a lowly death. He was not only a good teacher long ago. He was and is Jesus Christ, the Lord of everyone and everything. The glory of God that he had given up to become a human being still belongs to him and is revealed once more.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:12:21 PM by Pip »