Author Topic: Hello from a newbie  (Read 5357 times)

nomoredrama

• Karma Group
Hello from a newbie
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »
Hi I am a new member. I have had difficulties with my mental health since the age of 18 really.  I am currently "recovering" from a recent period of severe anxiety, depression and insomnia. I have been on several antidepressants and combination of 2 antidepressants over a number of years however I found that I still became unwell after a time even if I took these drugs, they helped with recovery but did not keep me well. I'm currently utilising Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and attending weekly peer support groups to "get well and maintain my wellness". I am on a low dose of amitriptyline (an old antidepressant drug) for chronic pain management too. Whether this lower dose is giving me some antidepressant effects I am unsure but if it is helping then great. I am currently signed off work so I'm using this time to improve my mental wellbeing again. Look forward to chatting with you.  :bye:

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:25:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, nomoredrama and thank you for your introduction!   :happy0158:
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
Welcome c27

I take amitriptyline for pain relief as well along with tramadol and gabapentin plus naproxen (anti inflamatory) but I also take it to help me sleep.

nomoredrama

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »
Amitriptlyne has helped me greatly with reducing my pain levels but because I have been on it for so long I don't find it has a sedative affect anymore on me but it can be good for helping with insomnia too.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
I was having trouble sleeping so went to see my GP who suggested that I gradually increased from 10mg (amitriptyline) by 10 mg a week up till I got to 50mg.  There are still nights I don't sleep very well but generally I have better quality sleep.  A friend was taking 150mg of amitriptyline and was sleeping most of the day and night away.  More recently he has reduced it down to 100mg as he does voluntary work alongside us.