Author Topic: Encouragement for Today  (Read 4867 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
Encouragement for Today

FEBRUARY 6, 2015
Your Story is Still Being Written
SUZIE ELLER

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." John 21:25 (NIV)

Two women approached me. They could almost pass for twins, except for the scars borne by one.  "She rescued me," the younger one said. "She drove through the night, even after I told her to stay away."

Her older sister had braved the darkness to save her from a man who fractured not just her bones, but her spirit. Though she had been safe for months, years of hurt, doubt and pain were deeply ingrained.  "Can I pray for you?" I asked.

She knelt eagerly, pressing her forehead into my knees. She wrapped her arms around my legs before I could kneel beside her. Loss, pain and a chasm so wide she feared there was no way back, soaked through her tears.  It’s moments like these I realize how human I am, and how little I truly have to offer.  But God!  As we prayed, I asked for what felt impossible in the natural. I cannot explain the presence I felt in that small space. It was tangible, an almost overwhelming compassion of a Savior for his beautiful daughter.  A new chapter was being written. Not just in her life, but in the countless pages of the broken made whole by Jesus.  For some, brokenness is easy to see, like this beautiful younger sister whose scars were obvious. But for most of us, our hearts bear the marks.  The damage can be the result of unhealthy doctrine like when you love Jesus, but people tell you that you can never be good enough. It can be a mark left by great loss. It might be what takes place when your life is turned upside down by unfulfilled promises or events you didn’t see coming.  Every story is unique and each story including yours is important to God. And this is our promise: Brokenness does not have to be the final chapter.  He rewrites.  Begin to imagine what you will look like in the hands of your Savior. This opens the door to hope. It places the pen in God’s hand, instead of the past, a person or a feeling.  It changes your question from, "What’s wrong with me?" to "What miracle does God want to perform in me?"

We receive.  He came for you. That’s the good news found in Luke 4:18-19: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord"s favor" (NIV).

Jesus is not afraid of our brokenness. It was on His heart the day He transitioned from deity to walk the earth on our behalf. Hold out your hands. Throw open the doors that so carefully guard your pain.  We all rejoice.  Healing won’t take place overnight. Instead it’s an exquisite process where God peels away layer by layer. But as you heal, something profound begins to take place.  You become an integral part of the good news described in John 21:25, our key verse. Your story spills into the pages eternally describing the power of Jesus to mend a broken heart.  And for that, we all rejoice.

Dear Jesus, thank You that newness is pouring into my life. I open my heart, my thoughts, my past and my broken places to Your touch. Thank You that You are writing a new chapter in my story beginning today. I praise You because the power of the cross is not in what I’ve done, but in what’s already been done for me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Isaiah 53:5, "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." (NIV)
Matthew 4:23, "Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people." (NIV)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
FEBRUARY 12, 2015
3 Ways to Find Life-Giving Relationships
LYSA TERKEURST

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works." Hebrews 10:24 (ESV)

I pressed my forehead against my front door window while tears quietly slipped down my cheeks. I watched my husband pull out of the driveway and head off to another day at work. I then turned to look at what my day would hold a crying baby, a messy house and an overwhelming feeling of dread. How could this be?

I finally had everything I ever thought would make me happy, fulfilled, significant and satisfied, yet I was more miserable and lonely than I’d ever been. Finally realizing a great husband, healthy baby and a comfortable house with a flowerbed planted out front, weren’t the answers to ultimate happiness in life, rattled my soul to the core.  There are deep places within our soul that God hand-designed and reserved only for Him to fill.  But my whole life had been focused on getting these other things that I thought would fill me up. So when they fell short, I slid to the ground and cried, "God, I can’t do this. Where do I go from here? How do I find You? Help me!"

A few weeks later, my husband called and said there was a woman in his restaurant who wanted to meet me. I glanced down at my spit-covered sweatpants, ran my hands through my greasy hair, and willed my mind to override the desire to pass on meeting her that day.  I couldn’t handle the relationships I had in my life, I certainly couldn’t make time for more. Plus, if I got too close to women who appeared to have their lives together, they’d judge me for the pitiful way mine was falling apart. I just didn’t have the whitespace for anything but my family.  But that was exactly the problem. I was giving everything I had to my family with nothing to fill me back up, no one to encourage me past the hard spots, and no one to share practical advice because she’d been there, done that.  So, I crammed my diaper bag full and headed out the door.  Over the years, I’ve thought about that pivotal decision to pursue and embrace the necessity of friendships. Not only have they helped me personally, my friendships have been crucial to my success (and sometimes survival) in my roles as wife and mom as well. They’ve made our key verse, Hebrews 10:24, come to life for me.  What I once thought would take away from my family, has proven to add a richness I couldn’t have gotten any other way.  If you can relate to the season I was in, here are 3 practical ways to find life-giving friendships:

1) Find a friend who does something well that you wish you were better at.  It may be managing paper piles, cooking, organizing kids’ rooms, creatively loving her husband, effectively disciplining her kids or a hundred other things. Whatever it is, ask her if you could spend time observing how she does what she does so well. Women love to talk about things they do well.

2) Choose a friend with whom you feel comfortable to pray.  There is no better gift we can give our families than to be wives and moms who pray. Praying with a friend about our families will not only knit our hearts closer to the ones we love, but to that friend as well.

3) Pursue a friendship with someone who is one stage behind where you are in life.  Offer them practical help in their area of stress and weave in the wisdom you gained as you went through that same stage.  Why not spend some time today praying for the friends you have and the friends you’ve yet to meet?

God loves to answer those friendship prayers! And trust me on this go ahead and wash your hair, just in case you get a call like I did all those years ago.

Dear Lord, You know the friendships I need in this season of my life. So I’m praying today for the friends I have right now and ones I have yet to meet. Help me be a God-honoring friend who always points them back to You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Colossians 3:16, "Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts." (NIV)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Encouragement for Today

APRIL 1, 2015
When Being Quiet Just Isn't Enough
Sheila Walsh

"Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." 1 Peter 3:3-4 (NLT)

My mother, Elizabeth, has a gentle and quiet spirit. I have her smile but, I’m still working on her spirit!  I discovered that it’s not enough just to be quiet. Some cats are very quiet right before they pounce! No, the kind of beauty that Christ wants to work in us comes from a peaceful place of surrender, not from a woman who has learned to bite her tongue!  I grew up as a bit of an emotional "stuffer." My dad’s brain injury and subsequent anger scared me badly as a child.  After his death, I never wanted to make anyone angry or rock the boat. So rather than say what I honestly felt, I would put on a smile and push my feelings into the basement of my soul.  Have you ever done that?

Your husband said he’d be home at 5:30 p.m. for dinner, but now it’s 6:40 p.m. and the lasagna looks like a burnt offering! But rather than say, "Honey, if you’re going to be that late again, would you just give me a quick call?" you force a smile, feed the lasagna to the dog and start dinner over, muttering under your breath.

Or maybe you’ve asked your daughter three times to bring her dirty laundry downstairs yet it still decorates every square inch of her bedroom. Rather than sit down with her and explain how disrespectful it is to continue to ignore your requests and promise consequences if it happens again, you just trudge upstairs and gather the abandoned articles yourself. It’s easier to just get it done, so you shove your feelings down and carry on.  The trouble with living like that, however, is that when the basement gets too full, it only takes one more little thing and the whole place blows up like fireworks on the Fourth of July.  There has to be a better way to live as daughters of the King of kings!  I find it interesting that Peter compares focusing on the outside of our lives with what lies inside our hearts. It makes me think that to have a gentle and quiet spirit there must be a direct correlation. If you’re like me, when I only focus on what I can see in the mirror, I can get to a crazy place!  I need to lose 15 pounds!  My hair looks like it was attacked by a pack of wild cats!  I have nothing to wear!  Our world bombards us every day with unattainable images of so called perfect women, and it’s hard not to compare ourselves with what we see. When I allow myself to go there, I know my life is not a thing of beauty to God or anyone else.  So, here’s what I’m learning ....

•   To find my worth in God’s amazing love for me.
•   To lean into the truth of who His Word says I am.
•   To talk through every little moment of my day with Him before I take it out on someone else.
•   To be honest with myself and with others.
•   To be still and know that He is God.

The truth is, although perfection is a myth, pure and simple, godly beauty is something that never fades. When I read that it’s precious to God, I want that. I want to cultivate a life that brings Him honor and pleasure, don’t you?

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You that You know me just as I am and You love me. Teach me to rest in Your love and to value what You value. May Your grace and Your love touch everyone I meet today. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Philippians 4:8, "Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (NLT)
Matthew 6:27-29, "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are." (NLT)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »
Encouragement for Today

APRIL 17, 2015
The Cure for Envy
LIZ CURTIS HIGGS

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30 (NIV)

I was a member of a professional association for just two weeks when I attended their national convention. Since my name badge didn’t sport a single special ribbon, people barely glanced at me.  Alone in my hotel room, I ended each day in tears, feeling inadequate and overwhelmed. I told myself I wasn’t envious. Simply, uh discouraged.  Years passed, and doors began to swing open. Ribbons dangled from my name badge, and people smiled in my direction.  Soon I found myself dealing with a new set of feelings. How come she’s moving ahead faster than I am, Lord?

Why did they honor her instead of me?

I wasn’t jealous, of course. Merely, uh competitive.  The awful truth revealed itself one rainy morning when I received an announcement from a colleague who’d been blessed with an opportunity I was convinced should have been mine. I tossed her letter across the room in an angry huff. "It’s not fair, Lord!"

His response was swift. "Have I called you to succeed or to surrender, Liz?"

Groan. Clearly, jealousy and envy were alive and well in my jade-green heart. When I reached out to my writing and speaking sisters women who love and serve the Lord I discovered they, too, wrestled with this issue. One said, "I understand competition in the secular marketplace. But I grieve over it in the body of Christ. What are we doing, setting one person’s work above another, if not absorbing the world’s way of doing things?"

Her words echo the Apostle Paul’s: "... For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?" (1 Corinthians 3:3b, NIV).

Sadly, we are.  Today’s verse reminds us that envy takes a toll: "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones" (Proverbs 14:30).

For all of us who struggle, here’s the way out:  Confess. Healing begins when we acknowledge that envy is a sin: "But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth" (James 3:14, NIV).

Humble admission is the single best antidote for prideful ambition.  Avoid comparison. Consider the words of Jesus, when Peter fretted over John’s place in Jesus’ ministry, and asked, "‘Lord, what about him?’ Jesus answered, ‘... what is that to you? You must follow me’" (John 21:21b, 22b, NIV).

Rejoice. Feeling overlooked?

Look up and celebrate with others. Send an email or text on the spot, and chase away those negative feelings. "Rejoice with those who rejoice" (Romans 12:15a, NIV).

Be patient. Many a career or ministry has collapsed under too much, too soon. Embrace the tasks you’ve been given, rather than longing for something bigger, better or faster. Success isn’t money or fame it’s love for one another. By definition, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud" (1 Corinthians 13:4, NIV).

Befriend your rival. As one of our sisters explained, "A woman was brought in on a fast track executive management program at my corporation. At our first meeting, I thought, ‘Well, here’s my rival.’ Then I heard God say, ‘She is smart, energetic and sharp just like you. You could become best buddies.’"

And, they did.  Count the cost. Behind every successful woman is a host of sacrifices we never see. The truth?

We’re seldom jealous of all the work a person does just the outcome. Whether building a tower or building a career, the Bible cautions us, "... Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money" or time or energy "to complete it" (Luke 14:28b, NIV).

Lean on the Lord. He stands ready, willing and able to overcome our weaknesses through the power of His Spirit. "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always" (1 Chronicles 16:11, NIV).

Heavenly Father, we know envy and jealousy are no match for Your mercy and grace. Forgive us when we grumble over how You bless others, and help us be grateful for all the ways You have kindly blessed us. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Romans 12:10, "Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves." (NIV)
1 Peter 5:6, "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." (NIV)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Encouragement for Today

AUGUST 5, 2015
Giving God Your Not Enough
SUZIE ELLER

"As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. ‘Truly I tell you,’ he said, ‘this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.’" Luke 21:1-4 (NIV)

I put my 2-year-old twins in the back of the shopping cart and my 3-year-old in the front seat. I only needed a few items and didn’t want to drag out the double stroller with the extra seat in back.  Everything was going well until I passed a line of shiny new Big Wheels. I scooped the twins out of the cart and then turned to get Leslie. I thought it would be fun to show them to the kids.  That’s when I heard a whoosh!  Ryan jumped on one Big Wheel. His twin-sister, Melissa, on the other. Like rockets, they blasted off.  While Melissa jetted to the back of the store, Ryan shot toward the front where the double doors opened into a busy parking lot. It took nearly 10 minutes to capture my runaways.  I left the store, overwhelmed.  As a mom of three toddlers, I often experienced feeling "not enough."  Not enough sleep. Not enough hours in the day. Not enough of me to go around. But on that day my "not enough" went deeper. I judged myself far too harshly.  In today’s passage, we meet another woman who has experienced "not enough." She’s clutching two farthings barely 1/100 of a day’s wages surrounded by men with overflowing resources, who gave large offerings. Yet Jesus told the disciples her offering was greater.  Why?

The rich men gave out of their excess while the widow gave out of her not enough.  Maybe you’re a mom and there are days you feel as if you give out of your not enough all day long, or you compare yourself to others.  What does the widow’s example teach us?

She gave all she had.  When it’s all you’ve got, it’s significant. As moms, we bring everything to Jesus all of it, the good parts and the hard parts. You bring your desire to make a difference. You bring your personality and talents, whether you are the mom who jumps on the bed with her kids, or the mom who makes the tastiest cupcakes ever.  You also bring the harder parts, like your doubts.  When we place our "not enough" like doubt or impatience or lack of knowledge in His hands, it translates to trust in Him believing that He’ll help us fill those gaps.  She willingly gave.  The widow’s two farthings were of great value to her.  Willingly offering your child means that you understand that God has a stake in this, too. He has a plan and a purpose for your child. He loves him or her. He knows your child’s DNA and the number of hairs on his head.  But it doesn’t stop there. Just as He loves your babies, He treasures you. Don’t hide because you feel like you made a mistake. Willingly walk into His presence and give Him all of you. He’ll meet you there.  She trusted God with her offering.  Parenting is a continual process of putting in our two farthings. Trust God for the long term, friend. You’re parenting every single day, but it all adds up as they become the human beings God created them to be.  If I could go back to that young mama in the store, I’d wrap my arms around her and say, "The ‘not enough’ you give day in and day out is seen by God and by His grace and power it is more than enough."

Father, today, I give everything I have and everything that I am to You. I joyfully bring my "not enough." In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
2 Corinthians 12:9, "But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." (NIV)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Encouragement for Today

SEPTEMBER 9, 2015
Headed in the Wrong Direction
LYNN COWELL

"There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12 (NIV)

I anxiously glanced at the clock thinking, If I leave now I’ll still make it on time.  This wasn’t a meeting I could comfortably slip into if I were late because I was the speaker!  Grabbing my purse, I headed for the garage door when I thought I heard bleating. Yes, bleating, as in a noise coming from a very small animal.  What in the world?

I have no idea what that is, but I’m late! Trying to put the strange noise out of my mind, I kept heading toward my car.  But try as I might, my heart wouldn’t let me ignore the sad sound, no matter how late it was going to make me.  I turned around and made my way closer to the tiny cry. There, next to our backyard gate, stood the tiniest of fawns. This precious little thing couldn’t have been more than a couple hours old, as it wavered on tiny legs.  On the other side of the fence stood the object of the baby’s sorrow his mother. They were separated by the fence, and the baby was trapped. He couldn’t get to her and she had no way of getting him out of our backyard.  This wasn’t the first time a little one has been born in our yard. I believe deer spot the cool shade of our woods and decide our yard is the perfect place to give birth. But our yard is not as it seems. When the baby is born and the mother hops back over the fence, her fawn is trapped, alone and without care and protection.  Our yard may appear safe and peaceful to an adult animal, but to an infant it is anything but. I wondered: How many times have I unknowingly jumped into a situation I deemed safe only to get caught where I should not have been?

Things like:
- Entering benign conversations, where my speech takes a wrong turn and I find myself gossiping.
- Bored or stressed, as I make my way to my pantry only to indulge in foods that harm, rather than help, my body.
- Wanting to guide my child, when I speak words meant to bring discernment, but instead bring damage.

Today’s key verse warns us, "There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death" (Proverbs 14:12).

Sometimes, we can feel like we’re doing the right thing, like the mother deer, when in fact, we’re heading in a wrong direction. How can we know what’s right?

Jesus promised us in John 16:13, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come" (NIV).

When Jesus ascended into heaven, He sent the Holy Spirit to be our guide. We need Him. We need His guidance to make wise choices and not become trapped by sin that hurts us and damages our relationship with Jesus. The Holy Spirit is with us, available all day long, with the wisdom we need to live the rich and satisfying life Jesus wants for us. Our part is to listen for His direction.  After making a few phone calls to animal experts, I was instructed to pick up the fawn and lift him over the gate to safety. He didn’t struggle as I gently lifted him from the ground and delivered him back to his mother. I am so thankful that in my life, as I listen to the Holy Spirit, He too, lifts me up and helps deliver me out of the traps I get myself in.  And yes, thankfully, I did make my speaking engagement just in time.

Holy Spirit, I invite You today, to guide and instruct me. Help me not simply choose what seems best to me, but teach me to listen for Your guidance so I can make wise choices. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
John 10:10, "The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." (NLT)
Isaiah 40:11, "Like a shepherd He will tend His flock, in His arm He will gather the lambs and carry them in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing ewes." (NASB)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Encouragement for Today

SEPTEMBER 16, 2015
An Inexpensive Gift You Can Give
CHRYSTAL EVANS HURST

"Each of you has been blessed with one of God’s many wonderful gifts to be used in the service of others. So use your gift well." 1 Peter 4:10 (CEV)

I really needed to talk to someone.  I desperately needed to process the ramifications of a heavy weight I carried and wanted to hear a caring voice on the other end of the line. I desired the gift of truth wrapped in encouragement and presented with a little affirmation.  So I picked up the phone and called my friend.  She answered, but I could tell she was busy. She was in the car with her kids running errands, so I offered to call her back and chat later, but she insisted that she had time to talk.  I believed her and began sharing my heart’s concerns.  However, multiple times during our conversation, she asked me to hold while she took another call or needed to talk to her kids. She did try hard to listen well in between distractions, but after about 10 minutes, she interrupted me to say that she’d arrived at her destination. She needed to get her kids out of the car and take care of her errand. She offered to call me back.  I was left hanging, feeling a tad unimportant, and a lot silly for even attempting to "put myself out there" and share my struggle and desire for encouragement. In the moment where I needed support and reached out for that very thing, I was left with a sense of regret for even trying.  Now, I know my friend didn’t mean to hurt my feelings, imply that I wasn’t important or leave me hanging. How do I know this you might ask?

Because I’ve been that friend, too.  There have been times when someone has called or reached out to me and in my genuine and sincere desire to make time for them, I’ve squeezed them into a space in my time that wasn’t adequate. I’m guilty of unintentionally leaving people I love and care for feeling forgotten and a tad bit unimportant.  So what do I wish my friend had done?

What did I become painfully aware of that I can do for others?

Give the gift of attention.  Attention is an easy and inexpensive gift that you and I can give to others.  In Mark 5:25-34, we find Jesus busy with the demands of His everyday ministry life. Healing and teaching took up a lot of His time and the more He did, the more the people wanted Him to do. Large crowds followed Him and pressed in on Him everywhere He went. Jesus was a busy man on a mission.  And yet, one woman needed His help and desired His attention.  She carried the heavy weight of a broken spirit and body. She suffered from abnormal bleeding and carried with it the shame, frustration and loneliness of being an outcast an "untouchable." She desired the gift of wholeness wrapped in compassion and presented with a little mercy, so she took the risk of reaching out to Jesus.  She touched Him.  And Jesus noticed. Even amidst the busy demands of His day, He stopped and gave special attention to this woman, her problem and her heart’s desire. Jesus made room in an overflowing schedule, and as a result, a woman received a new opportunity at life and we have a great picture of what it means to give others the gift of our attention.  Jesus spent time with those who would have easily gone unnoticed by others. He willingly and regularly paused His own activities, engaged one on one, and made room for meaningful conversations. He gave the gift of His attention and it cost Him nothing more than His time. Because of His example, I am reminded of how important it is to make room in my life for unexpected interruptions.  And I’m reminded of the gift my undivided attention can be to others.

Dear Jesus, I’m so glad You understand what it is to have an overflowing schedule. Yet, You still made time to give the gift of Your full attention when You engaged with others. Help me to do the same. Give me the wisdom to know when to pause and with whom I should engage. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Romans 12:10, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor." (NASB)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouragement for Today
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
Friday, October 2, 2015

Encouragement for Today

OCTOBER 2, 2015
True Peace is Possible
MICCA CAMPBELL

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." Colossians 3:15 (NIV)

Growing up, my father had a philosophy when life became hectic. He’d cross his arms over his chest, and in a joking kind of way say, "There will never be any peace until we’re all laid to rest."

I knew what he meant. Life is hard. And sometimes it’s easy to despair over finding peace when trouble seems to lurk around every corner. When hard times come, many emotions rule my heart and mind. Like my dad, peace is usually the emotion I sense the least when life turns topsy-turvy. But this is not God’s plan.  Peace is God’s will. Heavenly peace is a state of tranquility or quiet amidst anxious thoughts and emotions. It speaks of freedom from external pressures.  The kind of peace God gives remains. It’s not something that comes and goes depending on our circumstances. Divine peace should govern our lives in all things at all times. When the things of life haunt us that stack of bills, new tires for the car, anxious feelings of inadequacy don’t we long for peace?

Here’s the good news: We can have that kind of peace. Jesus told His disciples, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27, NIV).

Jesus is not talking about the kind of peace we feel when a debt is finally paid. That’s relief. It’s not the kind of peace we experience when we can purchase that big house we’ve always wanted. That’s gratification.  The peace Christ gives is fully satisfying. It’s peace of mind, heart, body and soul. It’s contentment knowing that no matter what happens, you are in the care of the Almighty.  Sadly, it’s my selfish nature that tries to obtain peace by my own efforts. Perhaps you’re like me. We try to persuade God with promises. We even attend church more often than usual. We think: If I follow all the rules and do the things that please God most, then maybe I’ll find some peace.  In the end, we’re working at peace instead of resting in it. This reveals one thing: My trust is in myself instead of in God. In other words, I put my trust in what I can do, not what God is truly capable of doing.  The Bible has something to say about putting our trust in someone other than God: "He who trusts in himself is a fool, but one who walks in wisdom will be safe" (Proverbs 28:26, HCSB).

If we don’t actively seek God’s help when we’re afraid or facing trouble, we’re probably trusting in our own resources and abilities. Therefore, Isaiah warns, "Don’t put your trust in mere humans" (Isaiah 2:22a, NLT). Doing so often leaves us disappointed and defeated.

In times of doubt and fear, let peace rule.  Resting in God’s promises give us the hope we need to stay focused on Him and His faithfulness, instead of on our circumstances. One way we can be certain that we’ve really placed our trust in God is when we experience an indescribable peace.  Let this promise from the Lord reassure you today from Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" (NLT)

Dear God, I know peace is Your will for my life. Help me to trust You with my worries and rest in Your care, not my own abilities, when life gets tough. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Psalm 29:11, "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace." (NIV)
Matthew 6;34, "Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (HCSB)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Encouragement for Today
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »
Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Encouragement for Today

NOVEMBER 18, 2015
What to Do When You Feel Out of Sync
SUZIE ELLER

"Come close to God, and God will come close to you." James 4:8a (NLT)

My husband is a great guy, but his dance moves leave a lot to be desired. His rhythm doesn’t match the music; he’s always a beat behind or several beats ahead.  The thing is, this does not stop him from dancing. Whether in our living room or at a wedding, he jumps in with enthusiasm. If everybody’s going left and he’s going right, he doesn’t care. He has a smile on his face. He’s having a blast.  The other night he held out his arms and asked me to dance. He switched on some tunes and off we went. He danced to his own tempo, while I listened for the beat of the music. We weren’t in sync at all.  And then I had a thought.  What if I just went with it?

What if I let him lead regardless of whether he was moving in the direction or timing I thought he should be?

What if I just matched his moves?

I slipped into his arms. When he was off tempo, I moved off tempo with him. When he sped up or threw in a funky and creative twist, I sloughed off my self consciousness and matched it. Fifteen minutes later we were both breathless and having the time of our lives  He didn’t become a great dancer in those 15 minutes, but I became a better dance partner.  In the book of James, we find a church out of sync. They’re quarreling and fighting. James exposes the heart issues behind this lack of unity things like jealousy and being judgmental with each other but then issues an invitation:  "Come close to God, and God will come close to you" (James 4:8a).

It was a move that had the power to bring them back into harmony.  Many times we might feel out of sync as well. It could be another person, or even God, causing our hearts to struggle. We pray He will change someone else, change our circumstances or that at least change the way we feel.  James’ invitation is for us, as well. Come close to God and He’ll come close to you.  Listen closely for the rhythm of His leading. It might feel uncomfortable in the beginning. His timing in your circumstances might feel quicker or slower than you planned. His instructions might conflict with how you expected Him to answer.  But there’s a gift found when you let God take the lead. You start to understand His rhythm in your life and in your thoughts. Your will begins to align with His.  Whatever You say, Lord, I’ll listen.  Wherever You are leading, Father, I’ll go.  Whatever You ask me to do, I’ll do it.  You rediscover how to trust and depend on Him. You start to go against how you feel to choose what leads you into compassion or wisdom, rather than anger or jealousy or words that cause harm.  Dance with Me.  That’s our invitation from a God who knows exactly what He wants to do inside of you, in those trying circumstances, within that relationship or in that hard place.  Until the other night, if you’d asked me about Richard’s dancing, I would have said his lack of rhythm was the problem. But now I know that I was listening to the wrong beat all along.

Lord, I’ve been out of sync with You. Thank You for your invitation to come to You. I’m holding out my arms and aligning my moves with Yours. Help me trust and depend on You completely. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Psalm 73:28, "But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." (NLT)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
Encouragement for Today

DECEMBER 8, 2015
Happily Ever After?
SALLY LLOYD-JONES

"He reached down from heaven and rescued me." Psalm 18:16a (NLT)

Remember when you were little and fairytales were true?

Don’t you sometimes wish they still were?

My niece Ellie was about 3 years old and living completely inside fairytales. She dressed up as a princess for breakfast.  She dreamed. She sang. She twirled. She danced her way through her days.  But she was also in a playgroup and had already been called names. Fat, ugly though she was none of those things.  The real world, she discovered, was no fairytale.  My nephew dreamed of being a fierce, brave hero, but was struggling at school.  Watching them discover this wonderful, magical world of fairytales they loved so much just wasn’t true broke my heart.  And then a thought broke through. What if my niece’s wonder and joy wasn’t a lie at all?

What if my nephew’s dreams of bravery weren’t just fantasy?

What if they were actually pointing to the Truth?

What if they were pointing to the ultimate truth of the Gospel: the great Good News of a God who loves us and broke into history to come down and rescue us?

Who moved heaven and earth to be near us, to love us though it would cost Him everything He had?

As a child, I thought I knew what the Bible was about and it wasn’t good.  I thought it was a rulebook filled with things I was supposed to do so God would love me. Or a book of these heroes I was supposed to copy so God would love me  And so I wrote The Jesus Storybook Bible for my niece and nephew and every child I will only ever meet on the shared page so they could know what I didn’t that the Bible isn’t a rulebook or a book of heroes.  "The Bible is most of all a Story. It’s an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from far away to win back His lost treasure. It’s a love story about a brave Prince who leaves His palace, His throne everything to rescue the ones He loves. It’s like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!  You see the best thing about this story it’s true!"*

Why do we love fairytales?

And long for them to be true?

Are they just fantasy, a way to escape our lives?

I believe they are the opposite.  These longings of ours are not fantasy. They are signposts. Pointing us beyond what we can see. Leading us into the heart of things. Into Hope and Joy and Love.  There is a Prince.  There is a Hero.  We are loved.  We are chosen.  We are beloved.  There is a Love we all long for.  There is Joy at the center of everything.  And Hope beyond the walls of the world.  There are Hands that hold us.  There is a purpose in the middle of it all.  And one day, God will heal His broken world and His children’s hearts, and wipe away every tear from every eye.  When we read this true story we are not escaping from life, we are escaping into life that is truly life.  But mostly we don’t believe it. We think it’s too good to be true. Happily ever after?

That just sounds like a fairytale, a mere children’s story. And after all, we are adults. We have outgrown fairytales.  Fairytales, as anyone can tell you, just aren’t true. We live in the real world.  Stories don’t end happily ever after.  Or do they?

Dear Father, thank You for sending us Jesus. Thank You that He didn’t just look down He came down. Our Rescuer.  Our Prince. Our Hero. All of our dreams come true! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
John 1:4, "In him was life, and the life was the light of men." (ESV)
Romans 15:13a, "… the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope …" (NIV)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 09:15:11 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-november-22-2016.html

November 22, 2016
De-Stressing the Holidays
Mary Southerland

Today’s Truth

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV).

Friend to Friend

While I am not a big fan of television, I do enjoy watching a few select home improvement shows. Chip and Joanna Gaines are my two new best friends, and the Property Brothers simply rock! A new fixer upper show caught my eye, so I checked it out. An interior decorator and homeowner were discussing a list of changes that needed to be made in order to update the home.  “First, we have to do something about those windows,” the decorator announced.

I was surprised she listed this task first until I saw the house. The existing glass was thick and chunky and an ugly shade of something in the neighborhood of mustard. The windows let in no light and made it virtually impossible to see in or out. The result was a dark, isolated home. The distressed homeowner protested, “But I like my privacy. And if I thought anyone could see in, I would feel totally exposed.”

When it comes to dealing with depression, many people feel the same way.  The holidays are just around the corner. For some people, that thought spurs exciting memories of beautifully decorated tables filled with scrumptious meals, festive shopping trips, extended family time, brightly wrapped gifts under a tree the “Walton” kind of holiday. For others especially those who deal with depression the holiday season is a very difficult and dark time that is to be endured rather than enjoyed.  According to the American Institute of Stress, more than 110 million Americans take medication for stress-related causes each week, but during the holiday season, another one million people battle what experts refer to as the "holiday blues,” and many more struggle with true depression. I am very familiar with depression and the pain it holds, and must constantly battle to stay out of that pit.  Depression is an emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual disorder. Something is out of balance. We bury pain instead of confronting it. We misplace trust and seek help from impotent sources. We construct walls over which no one can climb because the cost of friendship is too high. We fill the windows of our soul with emotional excuses in order to avoid dealing with pain. The result is darkness, loneliness and missed opportunities for restoration. We don’t want to understand depression or find the treasures in that darkness; we simply want it to go away.  To deal with depression, we must first come to a place of complete surrender to God and to His plan of healing, even if we cannot see or understand that plan. God’s heart always longs for restoration.  Many people try to understand and deal with depression on a surface level refusing to face painful experiences, difficult relationships, and the broken places where darkness lives. We look for the nearest exit, hoping to bypass transparency because the price is just too much to pay. Emotional integrity is an essential step to dealing with depression. We must be real  before we can be right. Until we are willing to risk being transparent, we can neither understand nor effectively deal with depression during the holidays or any other time of the year. The holidays seem to tug at the masks we carefully hold in place. And those emotional buttons we desperately try to hide are brutally exposed. The arrival of family members can resurrect painful issues that have never been resolved. Financial pressure opens up like a sinkhole waiting to devour our joy and destroy our peace. Schedules demand every ounce of energy and false expectations leave us empty and hollow. It is not supposed to be that way. Now is the time to do something about it!  Thanksgiving can be a time of praise if we choose to focus on the victories and joys we have experienced during the year, and then find ways to share that victory and joy with others. Christmas can be a true celebration of fresh starts and new beginnings, if we choose to focus on a tiny baby born in a manger, come to save us and give us true life. The light of His love can swallow up the darkness.  Right now, get ready for the holidays by choosing an attitude of joy, by focusing your mind on the things of heaven not earth, and by letting God’s peace guard your heart.

Let’s Pray

Father, I want this holiday season to one that is filled with light instead of darkness. Please help me discard my emotional masks and be real before You as well as with my family and friends. Give me the courage to be obedient to You in every holiday setting. Give me eyes to see and help those who are in need. Prepare and enable me to make this holiday season an offering of praise to You.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-november-21-2016.html

November 21, 2016
When Grace Is Complicated
Gwen Smith

Today’s Truth

Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart... (Psalm 24:3-4a, ESV)

Friend to Friend

As of last summer, I became a watering girl. My sunny days often begin with the garden hose in hand. And I love it. The birds sing melodies in all their chirpy cuteness and the plants respond with claps of gratitude. (I seriously think they clap in their own way. Moving on...)  Early one morning I unwound the hose and watered our small cucumber garden. Then I headed toward a few thirsty plant friends in the back of the lawn along the fence. As I began to water, the flow trickled to a stop.  I looked up and spied the water stopping nemesis. A kink in the hose.
  So frustrating.
  There was plenty of water. It just couldn’t flow because the hose had flipped and kinked. I tried to flap it out from where I was across the yard, but this kink was a good bit down the line. It required that I drop everything and address it. Once the kink was fixed, the water flowed smoothly and the rest of my plants got their drinks.  What a picture of faith!  Just like a hose is connected to a water source, our souls are connected to the Living Water. And though as believers we are always connected to Him and always have access to the refreshment and nourishment our souls need, there are times when kinks happen and the flow stops.  My kinks come in all shapes and sizes. I get flipped over by disappointments, unmet expectations, other people, or simply by my attitude, unbelief, fears, behaviors, rebellion, or unhealthy emotions.  How can I work out the kinks of my circumstances and relationships?

By turning to the grace that God offers. By asking for His grace instead of depending on my own strength. By going to Him in prayer. By aligning my life and my choices to the teachings of the Bible. By yielding to His Spirit.  The biggest of all kinks, however, is my sin.  Yep. I said the s-word.  Pastor Timothy Keller said it this way; “The sin that is most destructive in your life right now is the one you are most defensive about.”

Ouch. Big kink. Right?

How can I work out the kinks of my sin?

By confession. I drop everything and address it.  Here are two opposite sides of the same kink coin found in Scripture.  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (1 John 1:8-10, ESV   Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. (James 4:17)  Got a few sin kinks?

Sure you do. We all do. Some might stem from blatant rebellion to God’s will, while others might be simply NOT doing something you know you ought to do. Regardless, if you want to have a right relationship with God, you must deal with sin honestly. Nothing can separate you from God’s love, but sin sure can stop the flow of His peace, grace, strength, and joy into your life.  The Anglican theologian Richard Sibbes summed up the good news of Jesus beautifully when he said; “There is more mercy in Christ than sin in us.”

I. Am. So. Thankful.  Let the grace of God work out your kinks as they happen. When you realize your error, drop everything and address it. The Bible says that the Lord’s kindness leads us to repentance, which, in turn, unleashes the powerful flow of His peace, grace, strength, and joy.  Now, I admit this isn’t always easy. There are times when I want to justify my sin and ignore grace. But if I can recognize my stubbornness, pride, arrogance, laziness, over indulgence, and so on for what it is and remember that God’s grace restores and heals, then I am empowered to handle my sin swiftly and sincerely.

Let’s Pray

Lord, I am so thankful that your mercy is greater than my sin. Please forgive me for ____________________ . You know my heart and You know my ways. Cover me fresh with grace today so that I can experience Your joy, strength, and peace.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-november-18-2016.html

November 18, 2016
Outcomes and Offerings
Susie Larson

Today’s Truth

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31, NIV).

Friend to Friend 

Isn’t it something how we may think we understand a certain truth or concept and then God drives it deeper into our souls?

He is profoundly wise in the way that He teaches us the secrets of the Kingdom. He unveils truth to the degree that we’re ready to receive it, believe it, and walk in it.  I’ve recently begun to understand on a deeper level that though God cares about my choices, He does not owe me the outcome that I expect to result from my choices. Plain and simple, He is my master. He decides how my life will go. My efforts (in every area of life) are an offering to the Lord. They’re not a factor in an equation that guarantees a certain outcome.  Whatever we do, we must do it as unto God, trusting Him to take our offering and multiply it according to the need of the moment and according to His perfect will in His perfect time. Outcomes are in His hands.  People (including our children, spouses, friends, bosses, etc.), have a free will to choose as they will. And God, in His sovereignty works all things together for the good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (see Romans 8:28).  Once the offering (of raising our kids, loving our spouses, serving our bosses, etc.) leaves our hands, we must remember that we cannot control the outcome. But we can rest and trust knowing that God treasures every seed we sow, every offering we bring, and every prayer that we pray.  When we even begin to think that our efforts guarantee a certain outcome in the lives of others, we put ourselves above God, for even He does not exert His will in another’s life without their invitation.  If we view our efforts as a foolproof method or formula, we may become impossibly prideful and even judgmental. For example, if we apply certain parenting principles while raising our children, and none of them go off the deep end, we’ll tend to attribute their success to our investment. We’ll wonder why others don’t just do the formula. The truth is, even our most sincere efforts fall painfully short without the Holy Spirit’s involvement in our lives.  Our whole lives are an offering. Our choices do matter. And it’s true that what we sow, we grow. But must not discount other’s free will or even the mystery and sovereignty of God. We love our kids, for the glory of God. We bless our husbands, for the glory of God. We respect our bosses for the glory of God.  If we attach an expectation to our efforts, we begin to see God as a means to an end. When in truth, He owes us nothing. But He’s offered us everything.  Please hear me clearly: it matters that we apply godly principles to raising our children. It matters that we honor the authority in our lives and that we love and respect our spouses. But if we tie a string from our efforts to the outcome we expect, we’ll either experience disappointment or we’ll take the credit for something God deserves the glory for.  I’m convinced that if we view our whole lives as an offering to God, and we trust Him to do what only He can do, we’ll actually be surprised by His divine involvement in our lives. With a humble heart and open hands, we’ll lift our arms in praise, knowing and proclaiming that every good gift comes from above.  So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession(James 1:16-18, NLT).

Let’s Pray

Father in Heaven, I humble myself before You with open hands and an expectant heart. You know the desires of my heart. You know the seeds I’ve sown. I pray You’ll move and multiply in the way that only You can. Take my offering and turn it into a miracle! But in the meantime, I bow low, I open my hands, and I trust that You are God of the harvest. You will perfect that which concerns me. You will make something beautiful of me and of my story. I love You, Lord.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.