Author Topic: I swear by...  (Read 7088 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
I swear by...
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:13:10 PM »
exercise and B12 supplements... I know you're prolly about ready to have a go at me about suggesting exercise, but bear with me?  Please?

I know that exercise is the last thing you want to do when you've got depression, I've been there and felt like that too and I know that the last thing you want to hear from a peer is "get more exercise" especially when just getting out of bed is an achievement but if you exercise regularly then it really can improve your mood!

I'm not on about going to the gym or running... all I'm suggesting is walking up and down your road a couple of times then going home and curling up in bed again if you want to!

Not only will those few minutes help you get great calf muscles but it will also get you to get fresh air into your lungs and improve your mood too!  Not a lot, but enough to encourage you to do it tomorrow and the next day and the next and the next.  Maybe offer to walk a  dog every day if you want a reason to get out of the house?

If you're near a vet, maybe ask if they know any elderly or physically disabled dog owners who are struggling to walk their dog each day?  Brushing dogs can also release endorphins or whatever they are called and my favourite anti-depressants are being kissed by a dog and playing fetch with them!

If you don't fancy exercise at all, that's OK, try vitamin B12 instead?  Or as well as the exercise?  I swear by it!  Just the supplements improve your mood but if you can persuade your GP to give you B12 injections as well then that's even better!

Just wanted to offer those 2 suggestions while I remembered   :happy0158:
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: I swear by...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
Having pets have given me a very good reason to live.  Over the years we've had budgies - still have one, canaries and tiger finches.  We have had a hamster and ginea pigs.  We have a 13 year old dog ~ had four but they have gradually died, the most recent one had bone cancer so she was put to sleep last year ~ who is great company.  We have also had cats and have two now.  One is 7 years old and the other one is about 8 months old.

We joined up with our local leisure centre between Christmas and New Year as motivation to get fitter.  We go to the gym about three times a week plus we like swimming.  It is helping generally plus I am feeling happier in myself.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »
Yup, I've been owned by 2 dogs, 2 gerbils and an aquarium of fish but it's Mitzi who has been most beneficial to my mental health!  It's free to walk her, good exercise for both of us and has given me great calves for the first time in my life!  lol

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
Not only do I swear by vitamin B12 but I'm a new (3 days so far) B9 (Folic acid) fan too!  The B12 helps the mood and the B9 wakes me up... I'm going to try and remember to ask for a full vitamin and mineral test next time I see my GP to see if I need to take any other vitamins!  You watch me forget now!  lol

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
I take 3 supplements a day and they really do help to set me up for the day!

I take calcium because I'm allergic to dairy, iron because I'm vegetarian and a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting everything else I need.  They wake me up if I'm tired, give me energy and lift my mood... I really notice if I forget to take them!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »
I've got really bad for forgetting to take my meds so quite often I feel lethargic and the pain in my joints is getting worse because of that.  At the moment I don't know what to do to help me to remember :bash:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »
If you've got a mobile phone with an alarm app on it, try using that until you get into a new routine?  My AD and AP are in the top drawer and my supplements in the second drawer of a plastic set right next to the table my laptop is on and I keep my mobile on top of the set of drawers so every time I look at my phone, my eyes are drawn to the corner of the drawers which remind me to take my pills every day.  Have you got a set of drawers by your bed that you can put your meds in or anything like that, Pip?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
My problem is that I forget to pick up my meds before going out each morning as I'm out 6 days a week volunteering now.  When I get home or pop back for any reason I forget to take my meds.  Unfortunately I don't have a set routine and Rick forgets to make sure I have picked my meds until it's too late.  On the days I do remember I will take my meds regularly throughout the day.  It's been about three / four weeks now that I forget to take my meds up to four days a week so am seriously thinking about going to my GP about this.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Is there anything you always take with you, like a handbag or coat or something like that, that you can put your tablets in so that you don't have to remember to pick them up every time?   :hug: if you want it?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »
Good idea, I always take the same bag out so yes I can put my meds in it last thing as I take my last lot just before I go to bed  :happy0158: .  Today I actually feel much better in myself generally which is good.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
I hope it works for you, Pip!  It's the getting into a new routine that is hardest for me so keep going until you find something that works for you!   :happy0158:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
Well two days on and I have remembered so far, hopefully it will continue.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
That's awesome, Pip!  Are they the sort of pills you can have a couple of packets of at the same time?  I'm just thinking you could have one packet in your bag and one beside your bed is all   :happy0158:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
I take 9 different tablets - 24 in all - to be taken at least once a day so it's easier / more convenient just to carry around a 7 day med box. 

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
Ah right, okey dokes.  Maybe get another 7 day pill box to keep next to the bed then put your daytime meds in your bag and night time/morning pills next to your bed?   :happy0158: