Author Topic: Light therapy  (Read 8501 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Light therapy
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
I know light therapy is for SAD sufferers but was just wondering if anyone had any positive experience of it for depression?

Catbrian

Re: Light therapy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
I haven't but I think Zaf has experience of using one.

I TRY to combat some of the winter blues by getting up just as it's getting light and taking in as much of the days natural light.  I'm usually outdoors with the dog quite a bit and I think that helps.  Of course, it doesn't completely banish the blues, but every wee bit help, eh?

Another suggestion is Vitamin D (I think D), which is what the body naturally produces from sunlight (I think!).  I thought I might give that a try this year

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
Wow, sounds good Cat!
Sally Brampton (in her book "Shoot the Damn Dog" on treatment-resistant depression) said her psychiatrist recommended omega 3 1000 EPA every day (I do that).
I take vitamin B complex too as they are good to keep the nervous system in good shape too apparently....

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
Personally I found it difficult sitting still long enough for a light box to help much but I wouldnt want to be without my light clock.

I too try to be outside whenever possible during the daylight hours and am using vitimin D supplements again this year.

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »
Do you suffer from SAD Zaf or do you use it just for general low mood / depression?

Simon123

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Agree with Zaf on this.  I tried a lamp but I couldn't stay in one place long enough for it to do any good.  I gave 3HTP a go and its ok but I didnt really get anywhere until I tried Fluoxetine or Citalopram.

I sold the lamp.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
Do you suffer from SAD Zaf or do you use it just for general low mood / depression?

I suffer from SAD bookletters but I use my light clock all the time as I also have depression
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
I must admit, this is the first winter in years when I haven't been feeling my mood is affected by SAD.  Maybe it's the new meds... or perhaps my mind is focussing elsewhere.  This glum cold weather doesn't help those suffering SAD