Author Topic: Christianity's influence on society  (Read 5657 times)

joethfc

• Karma Group
Christianity's influence on society
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
I'm not a Christian but had some exposure in my early years at my C of E primary school. I love a good theory and I wonder whether this idea of Christ being an aspirational figure has influenced societies with Christian values (UK, USA, Ireland, etc.). Jesus was painted as somebody who carried everybody's burdens and troubles without really displaying any of his own. The slightly weird thing is that I never really got in to religion but the subconscious desire to be Christ-like is something I think was on my mind.

Jewish people, for example, don't get sucked in to this idea that they need to be perfect because nobody seems to be perfect in the old testament, certainly not god. What do we think?
"It's only life."

Micky

• Karma Group
Re: Christianity's influence on society
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
I've learnt that there is only two things you should never discuss over the internet. Religion and sport.

joethfc

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
I'm a member of a football forum too. (&(
"It's only life."

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
I follow one of the mystic faiths and believe that we cannot be perfect in our lives however hard we try

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »
joethfc......Lol

Ezel

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
I'm a member of a football forum too. (&(

Too funny  =+-

I am a Christian but have had my issues with some Christian churches.  There was one I went to for several months which was known as the South African church as the leaders are South African and they really do try and force the South African way of life onto the congregation.  We eventually fell out with them because we were accused of being liars all because we didn't tell them about stuff going on in our lives and they found out from a third party.  We were both furious because what was going on wasn't a secret but we just hadn't told them.  They wanted us to apologise but we refused to and I told them there was no way I was going back.  We are going to a Methodist church atm but we prefer pentecostal and elim churches as they are more up beat.

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
If I was to assume any 'religious' leanings it would be paganism. This world in which we live is such as wonder that I can't understand why anyone would want to worship anything else.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
Many people worship the prophets/gurus/teachers that bring them word of the wonders of the world.   

Paganism is many faceted (i am pagan), some worship a god or gods (or godess(es) ) some dont, some revere nature and some dont, some are "fluffy" pagans, some practice blood sacrifices.  The Heathens have ideas that its possible to see in some of todays religions but some are almost anti-'green' - many are practicing herbalists or witchcraft in varying degrees however I wouldnt call any aspect of paganism a religion
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
I used the term religion for want of a better word Zaf.